Current Mission Address

Mission Office Address
England Manchester Mission
Springwood, Ste G5
Booths Park, Knutsford, WA168QZ
ENGLAND

Current Physical Address
2 Golftyn Drive
Connah's Quay
WALES

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

July 1, 2009

I am happy to report that I am still in this area in Northern Wales. And even crazier, Elder Parker is still my companion. It is unusual for missionaries to serve together for three transfers. I hope to stay here for my last transfer as well. I know, through the Spirit, that President Bullock listened to the voice of the Lord in this transfer decision. I know that Elder Parker and I are supposed to stay together, and that we are supposed to stay in this area. I know a couple of reasons why, and i am sure that more will continue to manifest themselves.

This past week went by very fast, but it was also a hard week, to be wholly honest. We have had most of our investigators discontinue learning, and haven't been successful in finding anyone who is willing to learn more about the wonderful gospel. More than ever do I desire to help people see how important this is. There is NOTHING more important. I have been very overwhelmed by how fast time is going. In some ways, I feel that I have been serving forever. However, in other ways, I feel that I still have much to give, although I am starting to feel like an old missionary.

We have been spending a lot of time strengthening members and less-actives in this ward, and we are having some success. It doesn't come up in numbers, but we have been able to serve them and show them our love in many different ways. I pray that their progress will be lasting.

I don't have much to report. Nothing has happened in finding new investigators, and none of our current investigators have really progressed. I do have one funny story though . . .

We are teaching a man named C****. He has a good heart, but he hasn't been very good at showing any commitment. He doesn't quite know how important it is. He offered us a drink on Sunday and we gratefully asked for some water(we have had a ridiculous heat wave this last week). He was pouring himself some pop. He accidentily poured three pops, so we told him it was alright and we would drink the pop. He brought it to us, and it smelled funny. It smelled a bit alcoholic. There is a non-alcoholic drink here called Schloer, which is kind of like Martinelli's sparking cider, and that smelled similar to this drink, so I believed him when he told us it wasn't alcoholic. I took a drink, and it tasted funny. We asked him to bring the bottle to us. He brought a bottle that was labeled Shandy. I had never heard of it. Underneath the name, I thought I read "Made with root beer". I should have been smarter, but I thought to myself, "Maybe that is why it tastes funny, because I haven't tasted root beer in a long time". So . . . I took another drink! It definitely didn't taste right. Well, this time I asked that my companion give it to me so I could take a closer look. My eyes focused on the label and I realized what I thought said "Made with root beer" actually said "Made with real beer". This Shandy is part beer and part lemonade. 12% beer to be exact. The alcohol content is less than .5%. However, any amount of alcohol has an effect when it is the first time it has ever been inside your body. Elder Parker and I had headaches the rest of the night. He was getting quite dizzy. So . . . this week Elder Davies got a bit tipsy!

I will leave you with that, because my companion is ready to go. I didn't get to share my sacrament talk with you. I will try to share it next week, or I may just have to share it in person, but you will hear it one day.

All things will fail except Charity. That is especially meaningful to me at this time. No thing can provide lasting motivation to be diligent except Charity. Remember to pray for Charity. I love you all!

Elder Jo Davies

No comments: